Serves: 8 tacos
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chillies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
1) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté cabbage, pepper and onion until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar.
2) Stir in beans, salsa, chillies, garlic, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavours are blended, about 5 minutes.
3) Serve in taco shells. Top with cheese and avocado.
Recipe Credit: Taste of Home