- 140g carrots
- 200g onion
- 100g celery
- 15g garlic
- 1 small bouquet garni of rosemary, thyme, bay leaf
- 50ml olive oil
- 40g chopped lardo or pancetta- optional
- 1 tinned drained cannellini beans approx. 240g
- 170g minestra nera kale
- 500g cherry tomato
- 15g garlic
- 800ml chicken or veg stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Peel and finely dice the carrots, onion, celery. Chop the garlic. Prep the kale by taking the tender leaf away from the stalk and chop the stalks very fine.
2) Start frying the vegetables and the chopped kale stalks in the oil adding a little salt. Start on high heat then turn down so the vegetables cook slowly and keep stirring.
3) Once the vegetables start to caramelise and turn brown, add the bouquet garni and the lardo (or pancetta) and keep cooking until the fat from the lardo or pancetta has started to render.
4) Whilst the vegetables fry, put the tomatoes and the other 15g garlic cloves on a small oven tray and put in a 180C oven with some olive oil and seasoning. Roast for 15/20min until the garlic cloves are soft and golden brown.
5) Take out, mash the roast garlic and mix the tomatoes before adding to the vegetables. Add the stock, cannellini beans and the kale leaf and simmer for 15/20min. Season with salt and black pepper.
Add some pesto on top and serve with plenty of bread on the side.