Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Makes: 3 pizzas
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
1) In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, sugar and yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes until frothy. Add in the vegetable oil.
2) In a bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Add the flour to the yeast mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Continue adding the flour until the dough can be pulled away from the sides of the bowl with a spatula, but the dough will still be quite sticky. You may need to add in a little bit more or less flour, but the key is to remember that the dough will still be sticky and will stick to your fingers when you try to pull it apart.
3) Grease a large bowl, then scrape the dough into the bowl. Turn the dough to coat it in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour.
4) Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Pull the dough around to the bottom, stretching it to create a smooth ball. Cut the dough into 3 equal portions. Each ball will be approximately 1 pound of dough.
5) Roll out the dough to use in your favourite pizza recipe, or refrigerate until needed (but the dough will continue to rise, even in the refrigerator, so try to use it before 24 hours).
6) Prepare your pizza with your desired toppings and bake at 245 degrees Celsius until the crust is golden, 8-10 minutes.
Recipe Credit: Taste and Tell