Prep Time: Less than 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz peeled and deseeded squash, cut into 3cm/1¼in cubes
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red peppers, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp clear honey (optional)
- 5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 litres/2½ pints vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
2) Tip the prepared squash into a large, resealable freezer bag with the onion, carrots and red pepper. Add half the oil and salt and pepper and toss everything together until the vegetables are evenly coated. Tip into a large roasting tin and spread out to form a single layer.
3) Roast in the oven for 40–45 minutes, or until tender and tinged brown. Drizzle over the honey, if using, 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
4) Place the large, deep-sided saucepan over a medium heat, add the remaining oil and, when it is hot, add the ginger and fry for a minute. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then stir in the roasted vegetables and add salt and pepper.
5) Remove the saucepan from the heat and, using a hand blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Return to the heat to warm through and serve hot with crusty bread.
Recipe Credit: BBC Food - Mary Berry