Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) uncooked rigatoni pasta
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) ground Italian sausage (or remove casing from usual sausages and break up)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 4 large white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add a big handful of salt then add rigatoni. Cook as directed on the package until al dente, about 12-13 minutes. Drain into colander.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until hot. Add the sausage meat and cook until brown and no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and heat until melted, scraping up any brown bits left behind from the sausage.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and a big pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the cream and dried cherries. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, basil, and cooked sausage. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add the cooked rigatoni to the sauce and stir until coated.
Recipe Credit: Homemade in the Kitchen