Banana bread is arguably one of the most popular bakes during lockdown, so if you haven’t had a chance to get in on the fun yet… now is the time!
Prep Time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins to 1 hour
- 285g/10oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml/3fl oz buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4) Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
5) Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin (2lb) and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
6) Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
7) Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Recipe Credit: BBC Food