Ingredients:3-4 apricots washed and cut into eights
4 medium organic eggs (or 3 large eggs)
1 organic egg yolk
70 g (2.5oz) sugar + 1 tbsp for the dish
170 g (6oz) single or pouring cream (I use half fat cream 12%)
1/4 tsp of dried lavender (or one fresh lavender flower head)
50g (1.75ox) ground almonds
1/2 tbsp Kirsch liqueur (or other liqueur, depending on fruit chosen) (optional)
few drops almond extract (or vanilla powder/extract)
15 g (0.5oz) butter for the dish
1 tbsp almond slivers (optional, for topping)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C / 400°F (gas 6).
2. Butter a gratin or pie dish and top with about a tablespoon of sugar, shaking the dish to spread it evenly. Lay the apricots over the surface in one layer.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk, sugar, cream, lavender, almonds, liquer and extract, if using.
4. Pour this egg mixture over the apricots and if using, sprinkle over some slivered almonds.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked in the middle (it shouldn't sink in the middle). I'd suggest placing the dish on a baking tray to catch any sticky juices that could run out, if too full.
5. Set aside to cool and either serve at room temperature or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
This recipe is just as good using pistachios instead of almonds (almond flour).
Put a twist on it
You can find a variety of different takes on the same recipe over at Jill's blog:
- Strawberry & Pistachio
- Raspberry & Lemon Verbena
- Blueberry & Lemon
- Mirabelle Plum & Almond